Friday, July 27, 2012

Summer day


Another beautiful summer day in Copenhagen. I know it is "real" summer for sure, because I am developing a rash on certain parts of my arms and legs. Every summer, I get this rash whenever I get exposed to strong rays of sun. This year, however, I hadn't had this rash, so I was secretly thinking that somehow I have overcome this "allergy." But I was wrong. I guess it just hasn't been sunny enough in Copenhagen until now!  

Anyway, it was quite warm, and it seemed like the pool was the best place to be, so I took the kids to the same park we went last week where there's a little pool. I put my feet in the pool, and was surprised at how cool the water actually was, but the kids had so much fun. Last time, we didn't have anything to play with. But this time, we were well prepared. We brought a beach ball and a squirt toy (Mio brought them from the US...), and also some tupperware and a measuring cup - of course they were the only kids playing with tupperwears, but they had just as much fun as the kids with colorful buckets, I think...



The park is called Skydebenen, or the "shooting range". Apparently this place used to be where the Royal Copenhagen Shooting Society gathered back in the 1800s. What looks like a castle in the background of the park, is actually a wall erected in 1887 to protect people in the streets from stray bullets.


After the fun at the pool, we had even more fun in the afternoon. We got together again with our friends, Michael and Joanna, and showed them around Copenhagen. Before we started our long walk, Jonathan and the kids got to try their rented bike, which is a very common type of cargo bike here in Denmark.


After we locked their bike, we walked through the Rosengborg Palace's King's Garden, then walked about two kilometers to Kastellet (old fortification), and then finally to the Little Mermaid. The Little Mermaid was crowded with lots of tourists as always, but I was pretty happy to get a shot of just her in the picture... 

Then we walked about another two kilometers back to the Nyhavn area for dinner. Yes, we did a lot of walking! Nyhavn was very busy, and we had dinner at a pizza restaurant, which was a perfect choice for a party of two families with four kids. We really enjoyed hanging out with Michael and Joanna, and their boys Charlie and Pete (who is only six months old!). We were also very happy to see Mio getting along with Charlie, because back home, Mio usually only plays with girl friends - perhaps another sign of her growing up...  We look forward to seeing them again when we are both back in New York. 




No comments:

Post a Comment