Friday, July 6, 2012

Hello Mr. Andersen

It was raining, but kind of a misty rain, so I decided to check out the museum called Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. As you may guessed from the name of the museum, it was founded by Carl Jacobson who also made Carlsberg beer renowned worldwide. I have only seen the building from the outside, which is a pretty beautiful building, and it is supposed to be a very good museum, but I have never been.

On the way to the museum, we paid our respects to Hans Christian Anderson whose statue is placed in the City Hall square gazing at the Tivoli Gardens. Mio only knows a few stories by him, and at her age, I think it's hard to understand the concept of "authors." But I explained to her who he was, and I guess the name left an impression - she mentioned the word "Andersen" a couple times out of blue later in the day.

Mr. Andersen, what goes through your mind sitting there every day...?


As for the museum, we never made it. Well, we got there, but they don't allow strollers! What? I didn't know such place existed in this stroller heaven Copenhagen. The guard told me that I could go in if I folded the stroller and left it at the cloakroom. But I had too much stuff in the stroller basket, and just didn't want to bother taking them out and sort things out to fold the stroller. So I decided not to go at this time, and I was back to square one.  

Because it was raining, I had limited options of places I can go. The National Museum was the closest, so that's where we ended up. In the Vikings room in the children's section, Mio and Yuto were totally amused by these two kids pretend-fighting with the wooden swards. And look, doesn't my son look like a proud knight with two swards on a viking ship? Hardly.  Even after watching them for a while, he still thought the wooden swards were actually "umbrellas", as he kept saying "kasa" (Japanese for umbrella). Pretty funny.


I totally needed a coffee break in the afternoon, so we went to the Royal Cafe, which is a cafe run by the famous Royal Copenhagen. It is a really charming cafe tucked in this small alley off Stroget, a really busy shopping street. Of course everything is served in Royal Copenhagen porcelain which is a treat. The interior of the cafe is really pretty, even kind of quirky in contrast with the very "proper" image of Royal Copenhagen, but the rain had stopped, so we sat outside which is also quite lovely. I had a nut tart with a cup of cafe latte. Ah, relaxing (yes, Yuto was sleeping). 

Totally re-energized, we browsed the lovely store and admired their beautiful products, then we made one more (long) stop at the toy floor (or another indoor playground if you ask my kids) at Illum department store before we finally headed home.    



No comments:

Post a Comment