Friday, June 29, 2012




These are some fruits and vegetable baskets I saw at the outdoor market today. They almost don't look real, but they are all real fruits and vegetables that they were selling. So beautiful! 


In Denmark, you can find most fruits and vegetables available in America or in Japan, but fruits especially are so fresh and sweet I can't get enough of them. For example, you can get freshly picked strawberries every day in fruit stands that are found all over central Copenhagen. They smell so good, and are so juicy and sweet. The Danes must love their strawberries (and eat a lot of them) because there are strawberries everywhere.  Also, I have noticed that Danish people love smoothies! There are a lot of smoothie shops in town, and there are also a lot of smoothie drinks available at supermarkets. I have seen a lot of kids to eat their lunch with a pack of smoothie instead of juice. I also saw a few people drinking coffee at a cafe, but also had a glass of smoothie as well... hmm.  The smoothies made with these sweet and fresh fruits sure taste wonderful.  


I always like to try anything new I see when I am in a different country. Here in Denmark, you don't find too many "exotic" things, but here are a few of the new vegetables I have tried so far. 


Tomberry
It says on the package, "World's Smallest Tomatoes". They sure are the smallest tomatoes I have ever seen. They are about the size of blueberries, and also exactly the size of an iphone earphones (sorry, that was the only thing I had around me to compare sizes.) The taste is, well, nothing special to write about, just a nice sweet tomato taste, but the size makes these tomatoes perfect for snacking. I would never think of bringing cherry tomatoes for a snack to take for the kids, but today, I put these tomatoes in our little snack jar and took it to the park with us. The kids loved them. 
 Pointed Cabbage
The most common type of cabbage I see here are these pointed cabbages. They have softer leaves and sweeter taste than the regular American cabbage, so it can be used for many things. Today I used it in pasta with some salt-cured pork. 

White Asparagus
There is nothing new about these white asparagus, but they looked very good so I bought them. Actually this was the very first time I ever cooked them myself. First you have to trim the hard part on the bottom, and unlike the regular asparagus, you have to peel the outer skin for the whole length using a peeler, as it is tough and bitter. The most simple way to cook them is to boil them with a little salt and lemon. It also takes longer to cook than the green-skin counterpart - about 7-8 minutes. My first white asparagus came out really well. It's a little bit more time consuming than the green ones, but they have a very delicate flavor and I really enjoyed them. I would definitely buy them again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment