Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rundertarn (The Round Tower)



Yesterday was Jonathan's first day of work, which means it was the first day for me being alone with the kids. I must say that this year, it is actually very nice and stress-free to be able to walk around without pulling out a map at every corner and trying to figure out where you are.  Last year, that's what I had to do while riding a bike with a trailer in the back with two kids in it! Stressful?  I guess, even though we didn't live in the center city last year, we visited the area often enough that I have a pretty good idea of the streets now and I have a pretty good idea of where the landmarks are. That really makes my life easy.

Anyway, we started the day with a visit to a park (of course). We went to the Orstedparken, which is a beautiful park as I blogged last year, and it's a really fun place for kids as they bring out bikes, tricycles, and all sorts of rides as well as toys. The kids had fun though a little overwhelmed by other Danish kids. The great thing is we are only about 15 minutes away from this park. So I know we will be visiting it a lot.

We were heading back towards our apartment, and we stopped to have hotdogs for lunch near the Rundetarn or The Round Tower. The Rundertarn is a tower built by Christian IV in 1642 as an astronomical observatory, and is one of the must-visit sites in Copenhagen. Our apartment is so close to this tower we could see it when we come out of our gate. Apparently Mio has been curious about this tower, and she actually suggested that we go up! It was actually the first time for the kids, as last year, I think they were asleep or something, and it was just me and my mom who went up.

It took forever to go up the 7.5 turn spiral walkway with a four year old and a two year old as they kept stopping at each window to look out, but I was quite impressed that they actually climbed up all by themselves. The view from the top is quite spectacular.

The Round Tower. 





1 comment:

  1. That looks so cool! The kids look like they had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete